WALL's minimal pop music has been causing UK tastemakers and specialist radio DJs to fawn over the intimacy of the tracks, with her 2012 EP Magazine receiving plays from 6Music, Radio 1 and XFM. Having spent the better part of last year mesmerising crowds across the UK, touring with the likes of Saint Savour, WALL is set to continue bringing her enchanting live act to audiences in 2013. Her first live show of the year was a sold out headline show at London's Hoxton Hall, and she recently wrapped up a European tour with Local Natives. WALL will play her first-ever shows on US soil this month, with appearances in New York, Los Angeles, and SXSW. The full list of tour dates is below.
WALL takes her lead from women with a strong sense of identity, using her unique formula of layered production as an integral part of the writing process. Favoring rudimentary recording equipment over state-of-the-art studios, she captures not only the intended notes but also encourages the ambient sound in the room. From these scratchy beginnings, WALL creates sparse soundscapes, with only muted bass lines and scattered keyboards to frame her voice. While the production creates an intriguing backdrop, it is WALL's sense of melody and turn of phrase that takes center stage. Subtle nods to classic refrains, mingled with her own inflection, suggest a writer who draws from many different eras. The result is a sound that is both timeless yet modern.
Shoestring Track Listing:
2. Place Too Low
3. Left To Wonder
5. All Alone
- 3/8 - Los Angeles, CA - Bootleg Theatre - 9:00pm
- 3/11 - Los Angeles, CA - The Echo - 8:30pm
- 3/14 - Austin, TX - Official Showcase at Latitude 30 - 9:00pm
- 3/15 - Austin, TX - Urban Outfitters Showcase at Urban Outfitters - 1:00pm
- 3/15 - Audiotree Day Party at The Parish - 4:30pm
- 3/15 - Paradigm Agency Showcase at Stubbs - 8:30pm
- 3/16 - Central Presbyterian Church - 9pm
- 3/20 - New York, NY - Rockwood Music Hall
- 4/11 - London, England - Bush Hall