Denai plays live at The Slaughtered Lamb, EC1V 0DX next Tuesday 7th May.
19 YO Denai Moore has been receiving lavish praise on the blogosphere for her blue soulful folk, all wrapped up in complex harmonies.
The lush emotional resonances that country-folkers like Iron & Wine draw from their music are combined with a teenager's ear for pop melody that could be a Paramore song.
A songwriting talent of Feist-ian proportions, inspired to pick up a guitar by Bon Iver at the age of 17 she now counts Plan B and Tom Odell as fans.
The ‘Saudade EP’ is her first on the new Hard Livings label licensed through Because Music (Metronomy, Django Django, Soko, Connan Mockasin).
Now she is headlining at The Slaughtered Lamb to launch her debut EP - an opportunity to catch her pulse-quickening voice live.
'Saudade' is a Portuguese word that has no direct translation in English but it means a longing for a lost loved one. A bitter-sweat nostalgia for the excitement, happiness, pleasure and well-being of that love.
Listening to ‘Wolves’, ‘Fatigue’, ‘Gone’ and ‘Part 4’ with that in mind, you have a suite of heartbreak songs with a raw freshness from a London teenage soul channeling Americana and producing something strangely new.
Catch Denai live:
- 7th May - The Slaughtered Lam - 'Saudade EP' launch headline show
- 23rd May - Electric Ballroom, London - supporting Tom Odell
- 30th May - Opera House, Manchester - supporting Iron & Wine
- 31st May - The Barbican, London - supporting Iron & Wine
- 1st June - Cigale, Paris - supporting Iron & Wine
- 17th August - Green Man Festival, Wales